Sunday, October 5, 2008

Yesterday's cake was heavy

Steph's Mother (Mimi to the girls) came out to help with this Saturday's cake. Steph chose to reassign jobs once we found how heavy the cake was. I estimate it was 60-70 pounds. So Steph asked Mimi to stay home with the girls and had me come along to carry the cake into the wedding site. The wedding was at Chemeketa Eola Vineyards. I didn't know anything about this place until I visited. It is the learning site for Chemeketa's Northwest Viticulture Center, which means this is where they teach students how to run a vineyard. It is a functioning vineyard that produces wine, and churns out the managers that will run all the vineyards in the northwest. This is a nice local site to have a wedding and it has a great view of the valley to the southwest towards the coast range. I'd never been there but they have been referring business to Candied Walnut this year since they met Steph.

Steph really liked this cake. I loved the proportion and scale. This cake was supposed to be for 180 but I bet it'd feed WELL over 200- it was huge! This is the first hexagon Steph has done in a real cake. After carrying the cake in my work was done, so I just observed Steph working. She told me this is her favorite part of the process. Finishing and doing the final decorating is the most rewarding for her because it is the most creative, in her opinion. This one turned out pretty nice.


1 comment:

Will & Cheyenne said...

Seriously, Stephanie is AMAZING! Every time you put a new picture up I am shocked. And I love your business cards on the prior post. Classy!